03 June 2009

LOVE AND SQUALOR

If this doesn't bring a smile to your face, well....  (I guess we already knew I'm not that funny...)


Napoleon, 1813


Today, Noé and I went to the Musee de l'Armée, or, the Invalides.  The exhibit featuring Napoleon I-III had re-opened, and as he had no school today, it seemed a good way to spend the afternoon.  It is always surprising to me how many details of family trees, battles, and ranks and measures a ten year old boy can have in his little brain.  Relatively uninterested in the survival powers of swords and guns and armor, my little charge guided me through the exhibit, dutifully explaining the dates and purposes and import of everything that we viewed.  I must say, it was the best tour I have ever taken.

I came across a painting there of a young commander.  I think I fell in love.  Something about the painting, from an unknown artist, really captivated me.  I don't know if it is because I saw in his face one of Vermeer's women, or if it was the slightest sneer of his lip, that, combined with the creativity in his eyes I saw some simulacra of a young King David, but it was very moving, hiding in its corner.  I think he died, early, following the figure depicted above...






4 comments:

  1. Beth, I like to see and read everything about the Arts, Culture, and History. Keep posting about all of the places you visit. Can't imagine anything finer than having a 10 year old boy for a guide.
    You're blessed to be in France. XO, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just googled "Vermeer's Women" and learned something new. You made a charcoal drawing of his "Girl with a Pearl Earring" that you gave me for Christmas. I liked that connection. Thanks Beth!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noe´was great at it! we had a lot of fun... next thing i think we will do is take the tour of underground paris. when are you coming over, mom? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that one of the reasons as to why you like the painting of this gentleman, is because he looks a bit like you... Don't you think? ;-)

    ReplyDelete