
The first of May is a holiday in France. Here's the history: "On May 1st, 1561, King Charles IX of France received a lily of the valley as a lucky charm. He decided to offer a lily of the valley each year to the ladies of the court. At the beginning of the 20th century, it became custom on the 1st of May, to give a sprig of lily of the valley, a symbol of springtime. The government permits individuals and workers' organisations to sell them free of taxation. It is also traditional for the lady receiving the spray of lily of valley to give a kiss in return. Now, people may present loved ones with bunches of lily of the valley or dog rose flowers." (Wikipedia) It is quite a charming holiday, I think. Which may have to do with the fact that the French take lots of holidays, and that is always charming, but, still. So I received two sets of Lillies- Bruno brought them for all of the girls in his household, and another came from a friend. See above.
In other news, I am eagerly anticipating Jim Jarmusch's new film, "The Limits of Control." Jarmusch is known for films of the journeyman, and though they are always a bit abstract, I am interested in comparing his latest endeavor with my own experiences. See NYT review here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/movies/26lim.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=jarmusch&st=cse.
Another theme being tested and tried (and researched in the sociological method (sic)) is, "What remains after Love?" I am working on putting this into a narrative, and so comments are welcome. Although it would be easy to focus here on all that is dour in the world, I really would like the piece to have a tone of reconciliation, in the hopes that by the end of the work maybe a little bit of lost innocence can be regained. Maybe my interest here is a bit of an atonement for those casualties of myself, but beyond that I think it is a subject everyone deals with at one time or another, and life in France seems to be sharpening certain foci. Many different accounts of this have been given over the course of time, but I find it especially interesting amidst this postmodern isolation. So please, if you have thoughts, post them!
No comments:
Post a Comment